Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Here's the deal

Remember that change I've been talking about?

Let's spell it out, shall we?!

I'm not happy with my job. I'll clarify, I'm not happy working night shift. I know, shocker right? I said before: I feel like I'm sitting back and watching life pass me by. Not ok. The fact remains that I NEED the extra pay I get working night shift at my current job. My financial situation wasn't stellar prior to getting pregnant, due in part to my divorce. Then I had Avery and moved and didn't work for 3 months. You get the picture. I would love to find a day shift job, something less stress and home by dinner every evening. Weekends and holidays off sounds divine as well. The weirdest thing: I always wanted a high stress job. Something I could jump in and get my hands dirty. The more critical, the better. Now that I've had Avery I don't care as much about that. In fact a low key job sounds delightful. I have enough stress in my life at home, I don't need it at my job too.

So, here's what I've had in the works.

Let me preface this. I've always wanted to travel. Travel nursing has always sparked my interest. I was with my ex-husband since high school and we were married right out of college. Built a house, settled down. Got divorced, got pregnant, moved closer to family. These are all reasons I felt traveling wouldn't work for me.

I've decided to look into the opportunity to do an assignment in Phoenix. I know, I know PHOENIX. Like ACROSS THE UNITED FREAKING STATES! The pay for travel nurses is....wow. My bestie lives in Phoenix. Win win right? I feel like this will be an opportunity to get my feet wet so to speak in travel nursing. Will I like it? Will I want to continue doing it? Will I just want to do an assignment and come home? I don't know. I just don't know. I'm leaving that part of it as a big "?".

Here's the way I look at it. 1. This will give me an opportunity to pay off some debt, giving me the opportunity to find a "normal" job. 2. I will have the chance to see my best friend and spend time with her and her daughter. 3. I've been desperately in need of a change. 4. If this is meant to happen, it will.

I've filled out applications, I've talked to recruiters. I have a few ducks I need to get in a row before we can talk placements and contracts. I'm working on it. I don't feel nervous, I'm excited for the possibilities and strangely at peace with it. Will this happen? I really hope so, but again if it's meant to happen it will.

I have NEVER done anything like this before in my life. I am a planner. So I really thought that planning a summer in Phoenix in itself would make me nervous let alone leaving what happens after that as a "what if".

For now I'm just trying to be patient and see what life has in store for us.

1 comment:

Life in the Nutbowl said...

You KNOW I am excited for you! Rooting you on ALL THE WAY!