Monday, July 26, 2010

The house...

remember when I said it's on the market? It's been up for nearly 2 months now. The housing market in the area is still sloooooow. After a lot of consideration I decided to sell the house. I have a number of reasons for doing so, I'll tell you a few:

1. The house is almost 60 years old. Things are bound to go wrong, I'm NOT a carpenter, plumber, electrician, etc. I have NO CLUE how to fix a single thing. This leaves me relying on my dad to deal with something that is over my head.

2. I have a decent amount of equity in this house. I bought it in unlivable condition and fixed it up. There is a brand new kitchen with all brand new appliances, a new bathroom, and recently unearthed hardwood floors. The equity in this house would allow me to be sitting in a much more comfortable position financially. This would allow me to get a day shift job or at least a job that I can have normal people hours with.

3. I've been toying with the idea of moving out of state. There are a few options I'm considering. All have their advantages and disadvantages. I haven't ruled out just staying where I am now. Either way, a house is a bit too permanent for me at this point in my life. I would like to find somewhere and be settled, eventually. This will happen before Avery is in school. Which leads me to...

4. I do not want Avery to go to school in this school system. There are a number of private schools in the area, but again, I'm on a single mom budget at this point in my life.

So this is kind of where I'm at right now. Keeping the house in a semi state of order, cleaning for a showing instead of sleeping, continuing with small fix up jobs around the house. I'm trying not to rush anything and see what happens. Who knows how long the house will be on the market.

No comments: